Chewton Glen Hotel, New Milton, Hampshire BN25 6QS
Chewton Glen was originally built as a Country House, probably around the early 1800’s. It remained as a home until after the Second World War when it became an Hotel. Since 1966 it has been privately owned by Martin and Brigitte Skan who have developed it from a 12 bedroom Hotel into one of the worlds leading hotels with 53 rooms and suites, set amidst 75 acres of sweeping lawns, wood and parkland.
Set only a short twenty minute walk from the sea, overlooking the Isle of Wight the House was owned by the Marryat family who bought it in 1837. It was here that Frederic Marryat, the owners brother, wrote Children of the New Forest. Captain Marryat must have found the area inspiring as he was on the edge of the Forest and also within easy reach of the sea that even then attracted smugglers bringing contraband from the Continent up through the grounds and vanishing into the forest beyond. Many of the rooms today are named after characters in Children of the New Forest, whilst others have taken their names from his other novels and short stories.
Over each decade a number of subtle changes have taken place including the addition of new bedrooms both in the Old House and Coach House section. A new wing was added at the beginning of the Nineties adding another 12 rooms overlooking the Croquet Lawn which were hailed internationally as setting a new stand in comfort and luxury.
Chewton Glen and all those who work within it are committed to the quality and character that it represents. For over 30 years Chewton Glen has delighted its guests and visitors and will continue to do so for many years to come.
Tel: 01425 275341
Fax: 01425 272310