A SUPERB TRAVELLING CASE BY AUCOC
This fine brass bound travelling case is inlaid with leaf wrapped and knotted bands, flush handles and an impressive European armorial. It opens to reveal a blue velvet interior with a selection of twelve cut
glass jars and bottles, all with incised and chased silver gilt lids, some finely pierced. A shallow tray lifts off to expose a pad with twelve mother of pearl diamond faceted steel dressing implements. The recess below contains a number of leather boxes and compartments with ivory brushes, an ivory shoe horn, boot pulls, a sewing case and an ink bottle. There are two secret drawers in the base of the case which can only be accessed once all the trays have been removed. In addition the presence of a chocolate making set shows that this was a travelling case rather than a vanity or dressing case. The inside of the lid is fitted with a rectangular easel mirror behind a velvet and watered silk document wallet. The entire ensemble is decorated with fleshy scrolling acanthus on a ring-punched ground within reed borderd centred on the original armorial. The brass is inscribed Aucoc ainé à Paris and assay stamped Aucoc.
4 rectangular cut glass boxes with matching lids
11 implements for sewing, writing and dressing
A chocolate maker with burner and stand
A matching covered beaker
A pair of scissors
An ink well
An ivory shoe horn
A leather sewing case
Ivory brushes in leather cases
A leather and velvet covered document wallet
8 cut glass containers with incised silver gilt lids
A rectangular brass inlaid rosewood easel mirror
From a private collection.
Louis Aucoc founded his silver-smithing business at 154 rue St. Honoré, Paris in 1821. By 1835 he had moved to 6, rue de la Paix, the most fashionable road in Paris and home to all the great jewellery houses. In 1854 Louis retired and his son, also named Louis, took over the business. He added jewellery manufacturing to their lines of silverware, engaged René Lalique and purchased the Maison Lobjois, consolidating the business under the name of La Maison Aucoc. They participated in all the major business international exhibitions, contributing chased gold Art Nouveau jewellery and Lalique pieces.
The outside of Aucoc’s showroom at 6, rue de la Paix