WILLIAM EDWARD ATKINS
1842 – 1910
HMS Wellington at anchor in Portsmouth harbour
Frame size: 14¾ x 22¾ inches / 37.4 x 57.7 cm
Stock number: 820002/0818
A 1st rate three gun deck Ship of the Line HMS Wellington at anchor and other shipping in Portsmouth Harbour. The house in the background belonged to Captain Henry Player , who sold it to the Countess of Glencarty. In 1753 the property was purchased by the Government –Kings Brewery & Cooperage Dept and became known as Weevils Storehouse named after the RN agent commissioned to victual the Royal Navy`s ships, hence Weevil Lane, Gosport. Mr Weevil died in 1815 and is buried in Dover.