Signed E. Delaplanche, F.Barbedienne Fondeur
Height: 33 inches / 83.8 cm
Width: 14½ inches / 36.8 cm
Depth: 16 inches / 40.6 cm
Stock number: 856487/0121
An antique large bronze sculpture of a woman playing a violin “La Musique”, with drapery at her waist, signed E. Delaplanche, F.Barbedienne Fondeur.
Eugène Delaplanche (1836–1891), a French sculptor born in Belleville (Seine) was a pupil of Francisque Joseph Duret (1804-1865). Delaplanche gained the Prix de Rome in 1864 (spending 1864-67 at the Villa Medici in Rome), and the medal of honor in 1878. His “Messenger of Love” (1874), “Aurora” (1878), and the “Virgin of the Lillies” (1884), are in the Luxembourg. Other works by him are “Music – La Musique” (1878, Paris Opera House), called his masterpiece; “Eve After the Fall” (1869); “Maternal Instruction” (1875, Square of Sainte-Clothilde, Paris). He is also noted for his decorations in relief on vases of Haviland Faience. His best work is naturalistic, but at the same time dignified and simple in line, and shows sound mastery of technique. He is represented by 15 works in the Glyptothek, Copenhagen, and in many other French museums and in churches.