ANTIQUE VICTORIAN SILVER HORSE RACING TROPHY
Height: 20½ inches / 52 cm
Diameter: 11½ inches / 29 cm
Stock number: RW3206/0119
A very impressive Victorian silver horse racing trophy, of monteith form with chased and embossed band of wrythen gadrooning to base, acanthus leaf knop to the baluster stem and wrythen gadrooning to body, scalloped rim inset with vacant oval cartouches surrounded by laurel wreaths, the cover surmounted by a finely modelled silver thoroughbred horse above further swirling gadrooned border, presentation engraved to two sides. This cup is known as the Polestar trophy, originally ‘The County and Castle Cup, presented by Reginald de Burgh-Wise for A Hurdle Race for Qualified Hunters. Nominated by Members of the Club. Won by Polestar in 1891′, which is engraved to one side, the race run at Ashey race-course, on the Isle of Wight, later presented at the ‘Isle of Wight Whitsun Weekend Horse Show for the Polestar Open Jumping Perpetual Challenge Cup‘, which is engraved on the other.
The base is also engraved with the retailers name and address, ‘Messrs. H.M. Emanuel & Son, Ordnance Row, Portsea‘.
Hallmarked London 1890, Horace Woodward & Co (Edgar Finlay and Hugh Taylor).